Here Come The Liberals!!

And how great it will be to have them! I never thought I'd hear myself say that, but for all I thought about liberal theology - I was right - but since attending a Progressive Christianity Conference at St Marks, Sheffield, I can see how they have a valuable part to play in the body of Christ. If indeed they believe in the body of Christ. Or Christ as Lord for that matter. Anyhoo, if you want comformism and mediocrity washed out of you, attend one of these conferences.

I love being provoked. Personally I feel if I'm not provoked regularly in my faith I will fall asleep and die in my spiritual soup. So I went to this conf. at the Centre for Radical Christianity. 'Radical' is right, 'mal-coordinated' is better.

Hiding among the unconformist Christians, biting my lip to keep my position secret, I found I was challenged to clarify my position. Yes I believe the Bible is true and reliable, but let's not wash over the hard topics, such as to what extent do we apply biblical culture (not 'principles') to our culture, or why are there some gospels/verses in and not in the Bible that are/ are not?? The answer may be out of our reach but the question itself probably does more to help us relate to our father and friend than listening to yet another sermon on yet another passage.

The liberal take promotes healthy and godly set of values. From that we could learn. The sad thing is that it often offers no more than a set of values.

The liberal attitude questions the authority and reliability of the entire Bible - but stresses that we can connect with God through it regardless. Hmmm.

The liberal thought values inclusiveness and integration - the evangelical church is in dire need of that, too often being stuck in white middle England.

The Liberal theology stresses a greater understanding and involvement in everyday spirituality and connecting with God through everyday things. Oh that the Evangelical Church would not super spiritualise people and certain activities over others...

The Liberal outlook however, lacks any kind of identity- the identity itself being based on whatever you feel, goes. It lacks drive, a loud voice, organisation and use of the media. And its this that it seems to be addressing. And I say 'good' because much as my own opinion is for Liberal theology to NOT become dominant in Christianity, but I really think we would do well from the kick up the backside we would get from having these brothers and sisters raising their voices. We must not be intolerant to them. We must see what we can learn about God and about ourselves, and about how we do religion, and about how we treat others from them. How can we possibly claim to love the lost and serve the despised if we don't even love the 'just about saved...maybe' and serve the 'dodgy Christians' of OUR society?? Provoked? That's the whole idea.

I think that's what i think, anyway.

Oh the other thing to say is that liberals are just as disillutioned asmany of us are by following outdated styles of worship services and traditions that areno longer relevant. Especially in terms of reaching people who don't have our oft-misguided loyalty to church services. But that's for another day.

Love to the parents. Bye xxx

CONVERSATION

0 comments: