Think about thinking about TV will you?


You know the more I think about it the worse I think of telly. You sit in front of it so you don't have to do anything, you don't have to think. You soak up stuff you don't realise you are soaking. You waste time. You fill your mind with images you could do without. It may not seemed to have done you that any bad... but how much GOOD has it done you?

Its passive, its part of the "entretain me" culture we live in that suugests its ok for me to do nothing and let you fill my mind with whatever you want.

A great woman said to me, "Looking back you'll be proud of practising the guitar, but you'll never be proud of the time you spent watching TV" There's no denying that its so true. If you try to argue with it, i suggest you are trying to justify an action you enjoy but have not honestly weighed up fully.

The thing is, we have the opportunity NOW to change how we will look back on our lives. When we do the looking back it will be too late. NOW we can alter things.

So go and watch some telly - but choose what you will watch, watch things that are in some way ACTUALLY beneficial to you - and ALSO MORE beneficial to you than something else you could have done with that time... I suggest we watch a whole heap less telly and are a lot more discerning, self disciplined and intentional about what we watch.

CONVERSATION

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you - I AM a great woman

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting point of view Joel. I would question your line: "If you try to argue with it, i suggest you are trying to justify an action you enjoy but have not honestly weighed up fully" which is basically a nice way of saying: "If you disagree with me you're wrong". You're in danger of sounding a little bigotted there.

Here's my defence of the TV (when taken in moderation):

Your dismiss it as part of the 'Entertain me culture'. Do you ever just sit and listen to music? Allow yourself to get totally lost in it? I know I do. Is that not just as passive and just as open to the question "how much GOOD has it done you"? And reading a book. That's essentially a passive activity as well but imagine our culture without books?! Or watching sport? What good does that do you? Are you not just sitting back and being entertained? Yes of course you are. Is it time wasted? You tell me.

I agree that there is A LOT of rubbish on TV, I agree that a culture in which children spend hours each day glued to it is unhealthy and socially destructive. But I think to dismiss TV as simplistically as you have done is maybe a little naive. Being entertained is an important part of our lives and TV can be as valid a part of that as anything else.

2.

TractorBoyJoel said...

Hi 'anonymous' - thanks for the comment. Is that you Josh? If it is I'll be very embarrassed!

Getting your comment was a positive event not least because as i re-read what i had written i noticed some terrible spelling mistakes.

I was going to reply but it got a bit long and as i don't blog often thought i could get another blog entry out of it!! So go read that. And feel free to reply, I'm not a nasty person.

God bless