reflection on life is nothing unless in a perfect mirror

Some reflection is good, some bad. How does that work? Some reflecting on your past can be illuminating and encouraging, but reflecting on your failures or weaknesses can be really detrimental. Hmm. I thought reflections were supposed to be accurate? A reflection in a mirror is accurate (most of the time). I suppose a reflection in a pond can be distorted...

So is our bad reflecting on things - our musings - merely a DISTORTED relection on the truth of the matter? That would mean that every possible thing we could consider has a perfect absolute truth to it, one that can be found if we dug deep enough - or perhaps dug well enough.

Absolute truth. About that decision i made. Absolute truth; about how nice a person I am, and how good I am at singing. Absolute truth about what I should do with my life. Absolute truth about whether I should have bought lunch or brought a (ugh!) sandwich from home. Absolute truth about cats and dogs.

Absolute truth about when Jesus will return and what he will do and who he will speak to and if I'll go with him.

But as for now. and as for most times actually. I don't have a clue - and this reflection is leading nowhere. Good night.

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well I think the absolute truth is important and worth knowing. If you think you're in a different place to where you really are then you can't know what the next step forward should be and therefore you're on a false journey - think of Knightmare. That little boy or girl needed the team to tell them exactly what was going in - every little step in our life is MORE impotant than that - as our life is not a game. I guess that the difference is between someone who just gets dissillusioned and someone with faith is that if you with God it does not matter how far away you are from your destination - if he wants you there then he'll get you there...and even if you feel dscouraged when looking at an accurate reflection of where you really are that doesn't mean he can't get you there fast. Joe Gleadall said last night at the Anvil... maybe God changed Paul so dramatically just to show us how capable he is of doing things - I reckon actually that realistic reflections only make the end product so much more exciting.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.