A Breathless Verse Is You

I remember the long walking we did in a memory of gold
Kicking leaves, I carried a bundle of coats.  It was cold.

But you were warm, and good at clutching tightly.
You took my arm and we danced and talked lightly,
Your laugh carried me up the hill at 3am but
still feeling sprightly…

I passed my panic, feeling the bleeding of moments could not be stemmed;
Because no one had dented or domesticated your untamed running spirit then -
You believed in love; not 'if' or 'why' - but 'when?'

Wild Mustangs run the way you did and I saw you liked me
Looking back at you. I didn't realise that you were like me

and now I've become you.

From the second of our re-acquaintance we both knew how unlikely it was
That we'd ever have anywhere else better to go
And so came here together where you teach me what is forever.

You knock off my edges and I am sanding yours,
You cut me and draw red anger -
I apologise if in colouring you I have drawn you blander

For you are to me like the rainbow's source,
Colouring the fabric of my landscape's course,

I love to be the breeze so you can fill your wings,
But I'm so silent I never tell you things
That fill my mind, I want to soften and come unhinged.

I'd while away hours whispering nothings and sharing heat.
You're still the angel draped in Rhodesian white sheet;

Your breathing rises and falls; you need to be at ease.
And so does life.  We rise on a breeze

One day our tree will fall – entwined and one in ties;
Our separation will be like the land from the skies…

Like sycamore seed whose dive comes from one sole wing
Yet contains life in the seed that does the downward dragging.
At our wake may they say we started in love and leave behind us a sapling growing.

Because she's the kind of girl that needs a lot of love attention,
She's bold to go far with it when no one else will dare -
One step beyond the norm accepted,
I am and will be – because she is a rock that is rare

When you lean back in love my aim is to be the chair…
Life isn’t but I will be fair.
I’ll hold you, uphold you and
When you are breathless and tired I’ll help you breathe air
But for all our cold autumns and journeys ahead

May we run together and have a breathlessness to share.

CONVERSATION

0 comments: